Hello fellow blog readers,
On this snowy Sunday, I have a few thoughts in my mind and wanting to jot them down for myself and for others. As a mother with small little ones, it seems like we're always getting sick. Can anyone relate? Anyone?... Haha! I know most every mom can relate with having a sick or multiple sick little people. We were first hit in October with a really bad stomach bug that sent Neal (my then 9 month old) to the Emergency Room. We then got hit again with a stomach bug/flu-like virus that stayed for what felt like ions. Now my kids have regular congestion and colds and I have what appears to be pink eye. Sigh.... deep breathing feels good you know!
I keep saying to myself, "I have given them vitamins (EXPENSIVE vitamins at that) and probiotics each day. I have also given them silver, elderberry syrup. I have had them clean their hands before meals and have been feeding them healthy foods." So, why is this happening?
I was given the quiet reminder that not all things are in our control, and that is the way God intended life to be. We can do everything right and still have things go terribly wrong. The beauty is in how we choose to pick up after disappointments, trials, and set backs and launch forward. We are worth so much more to God and others if we can learn to accept His control and be humble enough to recognize where he is steering us.
I am seeing more and more as I mature that I truly am not in control of it all, as badly as I would like to say that I've got this thing called life put together, wrapped up in nice wrapping paper and completed with a pretty bow. Nope! I am feeling more and more peace as I let that control go, and allow myself to learn from life. Life is hard, but it is not meant to tear us down, beat us up, and leave us helpless.
So then why do we often feel like broken glass with nothing to spare, besides a few shattered pieces on the ground? I wish I did have all of the answers. The only thing I can say is that the Lord does help us pick up our broken pieces. The glass that He puts together is much more beautiful, whole, and complete than anything we'd do all by ourselves. I wish knowing that made it easier. It doesn't always work like that either, but there are great moments of peace and comfort that God tenderly gives to us.
I have thought of so many in my life going through their unique challenges, and I am grateful to each of them for opening up and letting me in on a piece of them. It helps me know that mine are normal, and in fact, not as bad as I might think.
I came across a beautiful blog (lovingpurposefully.com) and have been so edified by the tender experiences Amanda shares about her family. She has seen trial that I can't even imagine. She also is real in the way that she deals with the challenges before her. So, my question to myself (and to you) is this:
What will you do in dealing with great disappointment and challenges? What has helped you cope healthily when you are in the middle of something hard?
Lately, music has lifted me and helped me relax my mind and enjoy the moment. Enjoying the little moments brings beauty to life and peace to the soul. Today I captured an adorable picture of my son gazing out of the window as snowflakes fell to the ground. That made me smile. If only I was like him and stopped to really see the beauty all around me? My daughter also prayed that I would feel better even though she is sicker than I am. The heart of children is more precious than gold.
I love the reminders that my little children give to me. On the one hand, they can completely wear out this mommy heart of mine. On the other, they lift me to reach my best self. They truly are little people that I cherish.
No comments:
Post a Comment