Sunday, July 16, 2017

Vision Board (because we are Bored)

First off, I am so grateful for good family and friends! Can I just say that over and over again? I have had some tender mercies as of late, and I have needed God's reminding that He cares about the details of MY life. Sometimes it is hard to feel His concern and love, and it is a beautiful reminder when you get that nudge and real feeling that He does care, and He is helping. I call that feeling "HOME." I often used to tell Lee (when we lived outside of the state of Utah) that I "wanted to go home, and feel at home." Now that I am home, I still long for my home. I am beginning to realize that I feel the most at home when I let God in. I am pretty independent and stubborn. I really HATE to admit that I am stubborn. My child gives away my secret though; I can see some similar traits. Although she is her own person with her gifts and unique traits not from me, she might just have inherited that stubbornness.

Anyway, I am getting off topic. I already told one particular friend thank you for what she did for me yesterday. I will say it again- "Thank you, Janalee!" Janalee was my last college roommate at Utah State University and I am SO glad we met each other. She is kind, determined, smart, and pushes herself and her friends to do more than they think they can. She brought up that she and her husband keep a vision board of all they hope for, choose to accomplish, dream about. That information came at exactly the right time I needed it. Just the night before, I was telling my husband how bored of our monotony I have become. I have been feeling that we, as a couple, have more to offer to each other, our community, and to our own personal missions in life. It reminds me of a conference talk from a man who mentioned that he was studying his Patriarchal blessing and realized that although life was going great, he felt he needed to make a change in life. Sometimes it is those moments that help us to reach out, reach up, and aspire to be better than we are today.

I have been complaining so much about our problems, I am sick of hearing myself! I feel burdened by the student loans we accrued to get Lee through graduate school. I have felt hopeless that our dreams to have a home and grow our family won't happen because of the Utah Housing Market. I have been no fun to be around. Lee and I sat down together and started creating our vision board. We have on there pictures of things we'd like to do together, things we'd like to obtain, things we'd like to accomplish. Some are temporal/financial. Some are spiritual. It was an empowering exercise. Now I feel like we already have so much of what is on that board. I don't feel like we are in as much need as I felt like we were a week ago. I feel more gratitude. I feel like miracles will happen in our lives. I see miracles and mercies that have happened.

So with this post, I hope to inspire my friends to keep dreaming, pushing, pursuing, and aspiring. You CAN get what you WANT, as well as what you need. We may not get what we WANT right when we WANT it. But deep down, I do believe the Lord wants us to have what we WANT. He is happy when we work hard and accomplish things (with His help).

"For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matthew 7:8

Ponder:
What limits you from believing that you can find the answers to your life's questions?
What are you grateful for in your life today?

2 comments: