In my last blog post, I mentioned some traits, feelings, or behaviors that I can relate to because I have struggled with them. As I was reflecting on my own post, I wanted to make a clarification. I do not define myself, or others, by any of those things I mentioned. I think that we can cripple ourselves when we place too much emphasis on the things we struggle with. I don't want to have crutches in my life, or excuses to keep failing. But I do want to testify that when we tap into the Atonement everyday, we can be strengthened to face our own selves and battles with confidence that the Lord is doing his part in our lives, and He is MORE than matching what we are doing.
Many of our trials are internal and are silent and unseen to others. Yet, I believe these very real struggles are the ones that matter the most to your Heavenly Father and to your Savior because they want you to be able to live a happy life despite these "shortcomings" that you have. The reason that you are here is to overcome what you can and prepare to live with them again.
I have been reflecting on two scriptures today, and I wanted to share them. The first is found in 1 Peter 1:7. It reads, "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ."
So, what is the trial of YOUR faith? Why will it be more beneficial to you than gold? And what is the purpose of it being "tried with fire?"
As I was reflecting on this, I thought of another scripture that has significance to me because it has to do with my OCD tendencies that I mentioned in my previous post. 1 Timothy 4:8 says, "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."
I have spent a good portion of my adolescent & young adult life being unbalanced when it comes to taking care of my body. I love to exercise, and most of my friends know this about me. Some of my friends are also "runaholics." :) But I have placed too much importance on that area of my life and have needed to correct this behavior. My tendency to want to place physical health above spiritual growth has left me feeling empty spiritually, and feeling like I lack in other areas that I feel are important to my progression and happiness. I still have a lot of work to do, but I am grateful I am seeing this in myself and seeking to change. That is the first step to any positive change.
I hope that each of you, whoever you are, can take a look at yourself and see your reflection of who you truly are, a person of divine and infinite worth. You do not end with tomorrow or any future days ahead. You are an Eternal child of a God. I believe this and know this is true. Yet, I struggle to feel this inside my own heart about myself.
Here's my challenge: Look in the mirror and decide that you will see your true reflection staring back at you. Decide that YOU will win today (or tomorrow). You will quietly face your challenges with the assurance that you, and the Lord, will overcome them. You may not struggle with self-appearance, but you still need to visually see yourself as you decide that you will win at something significant to you.
P.S. I hate to infiltrate my married blog account with my personal reflections, but it will have to do for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment