Saturday, October 12, 2013

October

Fall is officially here, and I am trying to soak it all up before winter comes! Things get brown and leaves turn colors in Utah faster than they have in Indiana (at least this year). I like that the grass has stayed a vibrant green while the leaves begin to fall. I love being outside. My rule of thumb is that life is so much better if you take time each day to spend it in nature.

The LDS church just had another General Conference and I am so grateful for the truths that can be taught to those willing to hear. I know I had so much to learn this time around. I learned of the Eternal significance of the Atonement of Christ. I learned that my Divine role is important to my Father in Heaven, so it should be as equally important to me (no matter what society teaches).

Lee and I spent Sunday with my sister's family in Michigan. We feel grateful to have some family near by, or at least 4 hours away. I have gotten to know my sister a lot better. She was just enough older than me that we spent quite a few years apart as she was living away at college or on a mission.  We watched conference on Sunday. In between the sessions, I played the "monster game" with my niece. It goes like this... there are monsters and you have to run and hide from them.  She began her obsession with monsters after watching a Caillou episode about monsters. I had a blast making her giggle as we ran from these imaginary monsters. I would try to convince her that some of them were "nice monsters." She said, "No! They're mean!" Okay, they're mean then! I also gave her an early birthday present and she loved her new play-doh.

We went to an apple orchard on Monday and got to take a ride behind a tractor through the orchard. I didn't know there are so many kinds of apples... I can't even remember their names! We picked half a bushel. They had a little area where you could feed the goats. They also had a cute road that the kids could ride their bikes on, and there were big John Deere tires along the path. They had hay bales you could climb on. It was loads of fun! It was super cold and windy, so we didn't stay too long. Well, Lee joined in the fun and had a wipe out with one of the mini bikes. Whenever these things occur, I think back to his brother's wise words to me. "Sarah, you are marrying a reckless man." I have learned that there may have been some truth to that. However true that might be, I am so lucky to have a fun companion who makes me laugh and helps me enjoy life! That is his talent and I am blessed to be the daily recipient of such a positive outlook on life, despite road bumps, crashes, or hard days.

We had yummy apple doughnuts covered in cinnamon and sugar with apple cider. The treats were as equally as yummy as the scones from Winder Dairy (in Utah).

On our car ride home, a very big bird swooped down and smacked into the hood of our car. He was stuck there the whole drive home. When we got home, we saw that its head got stuck between the hood and the engine. I smiled at Lee and remembered that he had given me a coupon for my birthday that said that he would do 4 "man jobs" (car repairs, taking out garbage, or whatever). I just said, "THIS is a man job." Oh, later this week I also hit a rabbit that darted across the street early in the morning. I couldn't see it until it was too late. What is with these animals?

Happy October!



Apple orchards are so fun.

Feeding the goats

I loved this!



1 comment:

  1. Aww, this sounds like a great beginning to your fall! I can't wait to read about your other adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete