Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Settling in, Hunkering Down!

Well, it has been a whirlwind of a few weeks as we have had many things happen. My sister, her husband, and two little kiddos came down to visit on Memorial Day weekend. We ate yummy food and talked with them after the kids fell asleep. We took them to the Monon Trail and walked it. Megan, our little niece, was fascinated by the trees, bugs, sticks, and rocks. It reminded me just how precious and special little children are. I had to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the beautiful nature surrounding me just as my niece was so naturally doing on her own. The smell along the Monon is so fresh... it feels as if you are in the woods with the scent in the air of the trees and plants surrounding the trail.
 Lee and I attempted to have Megan sleep next to us in the living room while my sister took care of her baby in the bedroom. Megan is a little stinker and would not go to sleep no matter what we tried. I told Lee to pretend like he was sleeping, along with me pretending, to see if she would quiet down and fall asleep. Didn't work! Megan started to giggle and she kept staring at me with that gaze that said, "I'm not that dumb, I know you're awake." I started laughing and she giggled right along. I was not successful getting her to go to bed, but I sure have that precious memory of her staring down at me (she was on the couch while I was on the air mattress on the floor) and giggling. Children are priceless!

Lee and I went to downtown Indianapolis and viewed the Soldiers and Sailors war Monument in the center of the city. It is so large and incredible to look at. We walked to some of the other monuments surrounding it just a few blocks away. We have only seen a few things, and have yet to see many other places downtown.

We also took a drive to Louisville, Kentucky, to attend the Temple. I always feel so much peace there, and it reminds me that I truly can have my family for Eternity if I choose to follow My Savior throughout this life. We will have a temple here in Indiana. It is under way now, and members of the church here are very anxious for it to be completed. We ate at a restaurant that was recommended to us by my friend. It is called Cheddars. It was really good food! It is the equivalent of an Applebees or TGIF. Only, it is cheaper, the food is better, and they give you a lot of it!

We attended the Worldwide Leadership Training that was put on by the Prophet and Apostles to help train missionaries, which include all members of the church. It was a great meeting and we learned to share the truth of the Gospel more effectively. We recognize that something we can do is to simply be kind to those we meet.

Here are a few pictures of the Kentucky trip, and of downtown, Indianapolis.Also, we went to the Lambeau Stadium to tour where the Green Bay Packers play, before leaving Wisconsin. Enjoy!




Once upon a time, we were cheese heads!


This is such a large stadium. I cannot remember how many thousands it seats, but I know it is one of the biggest!





Lee is almost as tall as Vince Lombardi. :)


Our home now

We visited Conner Prairie and learned more about the Civil War. We toured Conner's place of residence. He was a statesman and postmaster in Indiana. He also helped form nearby cities  and made it more convenient for the people to get involved in local government by providing more roads for transportation.


The Union Soldiers in a mock Civil War Battle



This is just too funny. Lee can pull some pretty good faces.







Monument in Indiananopolis


at the top of the monument




Crossing the bridge from Indiana to Kentucky, overlooking the Ohio River




No comments:

Post a Comment